2018 Health Care Coverage Tax Forms
Posted on January 22, 2019
Tax season is upon us and we’d like to share information about when Health New England will be mailing your 2018 Health Care Coverage tax forms. Below is a breakdown of timing for each tax form type.
Form MA 1099-HC
Health New England sends the Massachusetts Health Care Coverage Form MA 1099-HC to all members. The 2018 Form MA 1099-HC is scheduled to be mailed by January 31, 2019.
If you need to file your taxes before you receive your 2018 Form MA 1099-HC from Health New England, you will need the Health New England tax identification (ID) number to complete your Schedule HC (for proof of health care coverage). To determine the correct tax ID number to use, check your Health New England member ID card for the group number:
- If the Group number on your card begins with the letter S, then use the tax ID number: 043012347.
- If your Group number begins with any other letter or number, use the tax ID number: 042864973.
Federal Form 1095
The deadline for health plans and employers to mail the 2018 Form 1095-B, Health Coverage, and the 2018 Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage, to individuals has been extended by the Federal government from January 31, 2019, to March 4, 2019.
What the March 4 deadline extension means to members
This extension means that there may be a delay in when members will get their 1095 form(s). The forms may not arrive before some individuals begin filing their taxes. If this is the case, you can still file your taxes before you receive your 1095 form. You can use your Form MA 1099-HC to complete the health care coverage portion of your taxes. The 1099-HC form has all the information you need to file both your state and federal taxes.
Breakdown of tax forms
Form MA 1099-HC – Health New England sends the Massachusetts Health Care Coverage Form MA 1099-HC to all members. It is mainly used for filing your Massachusetts state tax return. This form is also mailed to Connecticut residents who work for a Massachusetts employer or receive their health care coverage through Health New England.
Federal 1095 forms identify what health care coverage you had and/or were offered in the previous tax year:
- Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement – Individuals who purchased health care coverage through the Health Connector will receive this form. This form is sent by the Health Connector.
- Form 1095-B, Health Coverage – Health New England will send this form to all fully funded group members.
- Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage – Individuals who get their health insurance through their employer (employers with 50+ employees, and self-funded groups) will receive this form. This form is sent by the employer.
- Some individuals will receive both 1095-B and 1095-C forms—one from Health New England and one from their employer.
Individuals who have Medicare or Medicaid get their health care coverage forms directly from the government.